Thursday, June 12, 2014

Technology Philosophy



I believe it is important as an educator to be a continuous learner and to modify approaches in order to find the best ways to relate material to your students.  Our lives are continuously being influenced by technology and I believe it is important to use that technology to improve educational strategies.  As a future educator, I plan to not only learn from the experience of current professionals, but also to keep up on new innovations and incorporate them in my classroom.  Much of the controversy surrounding the use of technology comes from the lack of experience on the teachers part with tools. Without proper guidance and demonstration of how to use technologies effectively and efficiently, many will fail to see the value and potential these tools can provide. With more and more time spent looking at screens, whether it is the TV, computer, Ipad, or our phones, it is important that teachers use these tools to their advantage. There are so many opportunities available at our fingertips if we would just put them to use.  You can find almost anything on the web today to help make your lesson as alive as possible.  For example, if you're teaching a text that takes place in Pakistan, show your student Pakistan or create a social networking program with a school in Pakistan.  There are so many exciting ways to use technology in the classroom to engage students and to authenticate learning and I plan to utilize them in every way possible.

Using WebQuests to help students properly navigate the web to find information, while collaborating with peers, is a great way to combine the virtual, with reality. Not to mention to countless ways that you can now share information with your students. Creating videos, podcasts, Ibooks, and audio recording on the computer are all excellent ways to help learners access the content they need to be successful. Many of these tools, such as video and audio recordings can help teachers properly assess their students, by being able to replay their students behaviors. With technology, we have access to more information than we ever did. It is true, that some of this information is more than we may want, but teachers have control over what their students see and use. Through bookmarking tools and webpage design, teachers can create one-click, often free from advertisement, pages for students to access easily and quickly.

Furthermore, technology can be used to for teachers to share and connect with employers, families, and students.  Papers, resumes, job applications, letters, even to-do lists are now created on computers, PDA’s or other electronic devices.  Technology has changed our modes of communication, transportation, production, and education. These devices have allowed new and creative ways for teachers to stay connected with others. In such a busy day, often these devices are the only means of communication. I see myself using blogs, an a classroom website to help keep others informed as to what my class in doing. This will also serve as a continuous record for me that I will be able to grow and improve upon over the years of my career.

As a future educator, I will continue to increase my knowledge about technology and keep current with new innovations in order to provide the most successful learning environment for my students.  No matter what my content area is, I will integrate technology in my classroom in order to provide my students with a 21st century education. That being said, it will be a continuous goal of mine to review and analysis the technologies I use, to ensure their usefulness and influence of students lives and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment